SPORTS ACCIDENTS ATTORNEY
Sadly, many sports accidents are preventable. Athletes assume certain risks when they participate in a sport, but sometimes the coach, league, school, afterschool program or equipment manufacturer fails in their duty to take reasonable steps to protect child athletes. Sports injuries can be catastrophic, and even minor injuries can sometimes prevent the child from playing the sport again, resulting in lost scholarships and opportunities. At Wittenstein & Wittenstein, we’ve been helping adults and children get compensation from negligent parties for sports accidents for over 60 years. We represent people in New York City, Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Staten Island and Long Island.
WHEN CAN YOU MAKE A CLAIM FOR SPORTS ACCIDENTS
In order to make a claim, the injury must be caused by negligence, and not the inherent risks of the sport itself. For example, if a somebody is hit with the ball in the outfield while playing baseball, that is a risk of playing the game, and no lawsuit can be brought. Lawsuits are not a vehicle for revenge or general compensation. On the other hand, if the coach didn’t make sure a player was wearing a helmet to pitch and gets hit in the head with the ball, that’s negligence. It is well-established that players must wear a helmet to bat to prevent head injuries, and if people in charge don’t enforce this, they are liable for the consequences. The coach, school, league, school or afterschool program must do something wrong that puts a person in danger. If you are not sure if an accident was caused by negligence, a consultation with an experienced sports accidents attorney will answer this question.
EXAMPLES OF SPORTS ACCIDENT NEGLIGENCE
- A hole in a sporting field is covered with grass and a person falls and suffers a serious injury.
- A coach fails to require soccer players to wear knee pads and a player sustains a severe knee injury.
- A helmet breaks in half due to poor manufacturing and a child suffers from a brain injury.
- A coach fails to provide adequate water breaks in hot weather and a child suffers from a severe heat stroke.
- A tennis team plays matches on cracked courts and a child falls and breaks their leg.
- It always makes sense to have a consultation with a sports accidents attorney if you suspect negligence.
If you or your child has been seriously injured in a sports accident caused by negligence, you owe it to yourself and to investigate. We will review all the facts and you will know for sure whether the accident was preventable. Even if you can’t make a claim, having the case evaluated can give you closure. It’s always prudent to call an experienced sports accidents attorney to find out if you have a claim for negligence.