We’ll Help You Get Your Life Back
If you’ve had a motorcycle accident, you a Queens motorcycle accident attorney that knows what they’re doing. We’ll help you collect money for your medical expenses, lost earnings, transportation costs and other expenses quickly, so that you can focus on getting better. State of the art treatment is expensive, that’s why we do everything possible to collect the money that’s necessary for the finest doctors, hospitals and rehabilitation. Motorcycle accidents can be complicated and injuries are often severe.
Motorcyclists are often more severely injured than other motor vehicle accident victims because:
- Motorcyclists’ bodies receive the direct impact of other vehicles and/or roadway.
- Motorcycles are less visible on the road.
- Motorcycles are not as stable as 4 wheeled vehicles.
- Motorcycles are smaller and lighter than other vehicles on the road.
- Motorcycles travel at a high rate of speed, and on highways.
- Motorcycles are more vulnerable to defects in the road and weather conditions.
Road rash is a serious type of abrasion burn that is common for motorcycle accident victims, especially if they are not wearing protective clothing. New York City and New York State have strict helmet laws, so head injuries do not tend to be as severe as states where helmets are optional.
New York Helmet Laws For Motorcycles
All operators and passengers are required to wear helmets regardless of experience level or age. The helmet law is also very specific about the helmets and how they are worn. These are some of the requirements under the law:
- Must a model that is approved by the New York State Department of Transportation and have a label affixed that’s 1 to 3 inches from the bottom that of the helmet that signifies compliance;
- They may not be any rigid projections inside the helmet, and no projections of more than 0.2 inches from the outer helmet;
- They must have a continuous protective surface that is curved and
- There must be adequate peripheral vision clearance for the rider.
Motorcyclists are exempt from New York’s No-Fault Law.
- No coverage under the motorcyclists’ own policy for medical bills and lost earnings.
- Not subject to the “serious injury threshold,” can sue even for minor injuries.
- There is Uninsured and/or Underinsured Coverage if a motorcyclist is injured by an uninsured vehicle.
Motorcycle accidents are unique among motor vehicle accidents in New York due to their exclusion from the state’s “no-fault/serious injury” laws. Riders and passengers involved in motorcycle accidents do not benefit from the $50,000 in coverage for medical bills and lost earnings that usually available. Instead, victims are usually dependent on their health insurance coverage and disability through their employers while they wait for their cases to be settled or tried. That’s why it’s important to work with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Queens that knows how to maximize the value of your case and get it settled or tried as quickly as possible.
Motorcycle Accident Victims Need State Of The Art Treatment
Since no-fault is not available to pay for treatment, it’s important to hire an attorney that knows how to get money quickly to give you access to the state of the art treatment that may be needed to help you get your life back. Top plastic surgeons may be necessary to treat road rash, lacerations and other wounds sustained in a motor cycle accident. Severe orthopedic injuries and spinal cord injuries often require specialists, high quality rehabilitation centers, prosthetics and accommodations to your residence. Having the best care can make all the difference in the World.
Queens Motorcycle Accident Lawyer NYC
Due to bias against motorcyclists, the severe injuries that they often sustain and the complexities of the law, an injured motorcyclist or motorcycle passenger needs the best lawyer in town. At Wittenstein & Wittenstein, we’ve been handling motorcycle accidents more than 60 years, collecting millions of dollars for thousands of happy clients. The best part is, you don’t have to pay us a dime until we collect money for you. Please call us for a free consultation at 718-261-8114.