If you’ve been injured in an accident, you might be bombarded with attorneys chasing your case. The therapy place is demanding that you treat five days a week, and insisting that you hire “their” attorney – they might even encourage you to retain an attorney by signing papers with them, without even meeting the attorney. If this doesn’t sound like the best way to hire a professional, this article will help you learn what to consider when you need to hire a Glendale NY accident attorney.
Ask These Questions Before Hiring a Glendale NY Accident Attorney
- Is representing people injured in accidents the primary focus of your practice?
- How many years of experience do you have with these types of cases?
- How long has this law firm been in operating successfully?
- Do you have time to work on my case or are you very busy?
- How long will it usually take to reach you on the phone or get a call back?
- Do you have an assistant that can help me if you are in court?
- Will I get updates on every aspect of the case?
- Do you think I have a good case?
- How long do you think it will take to resolve my case?
What To Watch Out For When Interviewing an Attorney
If a Glendale accident attorney promises you things that sound too good to be true, that’s a huge red flag! For example, if you were in a car accident with only minor damage to your vehicle, it’s unlikely that your case is worth a million dollars. Even if it’s a more serious accident, it’s not really possible to know the value of the case until these two things are known:
- Policy Limits – If there is only a minimum $25,000 policy to collect against, that’s the most the case can be worth.
- Medical Reports – You may feel awful right now, but your medical records may indicate that your injuries are likely to completely resolve without any permanency. (Of course, this is a good thing, but it does reduce the value of your case.)
A scam that’s running rampant in Rego Park and other parts of New York City are “medical mills,” that doll out substandard care, talking people into coming for therapy 4, 5 or 6 times a week, without even making sure that they see a medical doctor. These “therapy places” will also refer attorneys that offer the same type of service, sometimes enticing clients to sign retainer agreements without even meeting their attorney. It’s becoming more common for these places to give cash to patient/clients to lure them onboard, and many people are tempted. Would you hire a surgeon that gave you a thousand dollars to let him operate on you? With so many reputable Glendale NY accident attorneys available, why settle for anything less than the best?
What Do You Call an Accident Lawyer?
Accident lawyer is everyday way of saying personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer is an attorney that specializes in cases where an injury is caused by the negligent, reckless or intentional act of another person. The claim is for money damages to be paid by the responsible party. Sometimes they are called “injury lawyers” for short. Most accident lawyers will handle traffic accidents and slip and fall cases, but will specialize in certain other areas. For example, a medical malpractice lawyer, specializing injuries caused by mistakes made by medical professionals. This speciality requires expertise in the law, and also a knowledge of medicine. Some medical malpractice attorneys will sub-specialize, handling mostly cases for birth injuries or cardiac surgeries. It’s important to make sure that your Glendale accident attorney specializes in the type of case you have. Please call us at 718-261-8114, or you can fill submit this form. For more information on attorney specialties click here.