In NYC, passenger cars and pedestrians compete with Amazon, Freshdirect, Ubers, Lyfts, black cars, yellow taxis and green taxis for their patch of roadway that’s not taken over by a bicycle lane. The background noise of blaring radios, jackhammers and construction doesn’t let you think and the flashing storefront lights cloud your vision. That’s why the best accident attorney in Queens always advises clients to drive defensively.
Types of Distracted Driving
If you ask a New York City catastrophic injury attorney about what you should do to stay safe, they’ll remind you to slow down and pay more careful attention when driving in bad weather or in crowded urban environments. These are the most common types of driver distractions which are even more hazardous in a crowded city:
- Hand Held Devices: Texting, gaming and usage of handheld devices is unlawful in NYC.
- Grooming: Combing your hair, applying make-up, putting on jewelry and other grooming activities should not be done while driving.
- Entertainment: Listening to loud music, finding radio stations, putting in CD’s and DVD’s are dangerous while driving.
- Operating GPS: Programming a GPS while driving and looking at the route on the screen can be distracting.
- Children and Pets: Managing the care of our children and pets while operating a vehicle causes thousands of accidents every year.
- Passengers: Lively conversations with passengers can distract drivers by taking their focus off the road.
Not only are the lion’s share of accidents in NYC caused by distracted driving, they also tend to cause the most serious injuries. Victims of distracted driving accidents often suffer injuries with lifelong consequences that benefit from access to expensive state of the art treatments. That’s why it’s important to hire a New York City catastrophic injury attorney that knows how to maximize the value of your case.
How To Avoid Distractions While Driving
Alyce Wittenstein, the best accident attorney in Queens knows what causes accidents and how to prevent them. She’s also a mom, so she knows how frustrating it is when your infant is screaming in the backseat of your car while you’re on the highway. She recommends taking side streets where it’s easy to pull over when you’re travelling locally with an infant and always entering information in your GPS before you start your journey. With so many distractions on the road in the City, including the blaring of emergency vehicles from no apparent direction, it’s best to keep the radio off.
Forest Hills Accident Attorneys Know The Neighborhood
Ask any Forest Hills accident attorney what they think of the new bike lanes and you’ll see a visible cringe. Double parked cars make it impossible to drive in the service lanes of Queens Boulevard without entering the bike lanes, leading to an epidemic of cyclist accidents.