Driving in cities with heavy traffic is always challenging, so it’s important to always drive defensively and take the road conditions into account. For example, making a U-turn always requires an abundance of caution, but it’s especially dangerous on crowded urban roadways. NYC has many restrictions on making U-turns, so it’s important to make sure that your turn is legal to avoid getting ticketed for a moving violation. The best accident attorney in Forest Hills have put together some tips to help you make safe and legal turns. Wittenstein & Wittenstein is the most trusted Queens accident attorney, serving the community for more than sixty years. Call 718-261-8114 for a free consultation.
Follow the Law
- Always obey traffic laws and regulations regarding U-turns. Understand the specific rules and restrictions in your jurisdiction regarding where U-turns are permitted and when it is safe to make them. The best car accident attorney in Forest Hills advises being aware of all the local laws in NYC regarding U-turns.
- Choose appropriate locations: Select U-turn locations that provide clear visibility and sufficient space to complete the maneuver safely. Avoid making U-turns in areas with heavy traffic, limited sightlines, or where U-turns are prohibited.
- Check for signage and signals: Pay attention to any signs or traffic signals that may indicate restrictions or guidance regarding U-turns. Follow the instructions provided by traffic signage or signals to ensure safe and legal U-turns. Queens accident attorneys report that a large percentage of accidents are caused by improper U-turns, so prudence is well worth the effort.
Use Common Sense
- Use proper signalling: Use your vehicle’s turn signals to indicate your intention to make a U-turn. This alerts other drivers of your plan and helps them anticipate your actions.
- Check for approaching traffic: Before making a U-turn, carefully scan the road in both directions for oncoming traffic. Ensure that there is enough time and space to complete the maneuver safely without interfering with other vehicles.
- Yield to pedestrians and other vehicles: Give priority to pedestrians and yield to oncoming traffic or vehicles already in the intersection or the road you’re turning into. Always exercise caution and make sure it is safe before proceeding with the U-turn.
- Maintain a safe speed: Control your speed when making a U-turn to ensure you have enough time to react to any unexpected situations. Avoid making U-turns at high speeds, as it may compromise your control and ability to safely complete the maneuver.
- Stay aware of your surroundings: Continuously monitor your surroundings and be alert to other drivers, pedestrians, and any potential hazards. Keep an eye out for any sudden changes or unexpected movements that may affect your U-turn.
The best accident attorneys in Forest Hills suggest that you remember that safe U-turns require careful observation, appropriate timing, and a thorough understanding of traffic conditions. It is essential to prioritize the safety of yourself, other road users, and pedestrians when making a U-turn. If you’re involved in an accident, call Queens accident attorney Wittenstein & Wittenstein for a free consultation at 718-261-8114.